Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Doctor's Visit

We took the kids to the doctor when we got home from Ethiopia.  Levi is very nervous about the doctor so he wont have his "official" physical until next week.  He went with me today because Amelia has a yucky nose and it turns out an ear infection.  Amelia has had all her tests, i.e. blood, stool, etc., but Levi has been so afraid I have not pushed it.  Today we went back to the lab and he did the urine test.  Yippee! 

I'm not sure why he is so afraid of the doctor.  Any other CHI families out there with older kids who encountered this?  When the doctor came in to look at Amelia he bolted out of the door, terrified.  Yikes!  Our doctor is so sweet and he spoke with him so nicely.  He calmed down but was still very uncomfortable.  Makes me wonder what the heck happened in Ethiopia when they took him to the doctor for his tests.

The doctor really wanted a blood test from Levi.  I took him to the lab, for the third time, to see if I could talk him into it.  We have Kaiser and they found an interpreter who spoke Ahmaric to explain it to him.  That was so great and they are going to have this available to him again next week when he has his "official" physical. 

Levi told me he understood and that yes it was ok he would do it.  However, when we got in the room with the tech he freaked out.  I wasn't sure what to do and he is having a few small issues that we really need to check out.  The blood needed to be drawn for his sake in case there is actually something wrong.

I told the tech I would hold him tight and for her to take the blood.  Lets just say that didn't go to well and it ended up taking four of us to hold him so they could get the blood.  I felt like the worst mother ever!!  Luckily it was quick and didn't seem to hurt him.  I asked him after if it hurt and he said no.  Just scary mommy.  I feel so badly that we had to get it that way.  I took him out for a treat and kept hugging him and telling him I was so sorry and that I loved him.  We came home and watched t.v. snuggled up together.  He seems fine now and we are off to the park for some fun. 

I feel so sorry for people who have chronically ill children and have to go through this all the time.  I am just so glad that is over.  Now, we just have to explain the stool sample to him.  He keeps telling me, no, gross mommy.  To funny.  He also refuses to wear chapstick insisiting it is only for girls.  He could care less that his brothers wear it also.  Everyday I put vaseline on his lips instead. 

It's a beautiful day.  We are off to make some memories, and hopefully forget the trauma of the morning.  Sometimes it is just so hard being a parent!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Julie - Sorry for your experience with Levi. Gabriel was the same way for me. Oh my goodness it was such drama. Then afterwards he said no it didn't hurt. OH MY! I nearly had a heartattack with the stress of holding him down. We were both covered in sweat when it was all done. Glad he was OK and I don't have to do that anytime soon to him.

Hoping Lilly will be OK when I take her to the Int'l Clinic in a few weeks.

Blessings and love,
Jill

Brenda said...

Oh poor baby! If you had known him all his life you would be able to make the call if it was a legit concern or him just freaking out. I mean, let's face it---some of our own children who have NEVER had a traumatic experience at a doctor's office still FREAK, right? :) Glad it's done and he's OK and HOW wonderful they had someone to interpret for him! did you have anything else you wanted to explain to Levi while you had that person there? :)

Breann said...

Poor guy. I am glad the affects didn't seem to last long. We have kaiser too. I am going to email you later

Kimmie said...

Yup, stool samples...gross. He's got that right ;-)

How cool that they got an Ethiopian interpreter for him.

The good news is, soon this will be done and behind you.

Enjoy your cuddle time Julie.

Annie said...

So sorry that it was so traumatic. I remember we went through that with Maya (she was home less than 24 hours for our first dr's appt and the blood draw took two of us holding her still and a tech drawing the blood while she SCREAMED AND TWISTED...and she was only an infant!) I can't imagine how draining it was for all of you. And you are right...I cannot imagine how parents of chronically ill children handle it.

Thank God for the Amharic translator :)

Alida said...

Oh Julie hoping for better doctor days for Levi! What is Kaiser ... A health insurance provider? And how do they have an Amharic translator?

Lori said...

I've had to do that before with Jackie and it is sooo hard! Glad it's over with.

Brooke also has an ear infection. Come on Spring where are you?