Saturday, March 27, 2010

College

Some people have questioned our adoption and asked if we felt guilty that we spent all that money adopting two kids, money that could be used for college for our biological children.

Now, they didn't say it just like that.  It was vieled in a little more sweetness.  However, that is what they meant. 

This really hits home to me as our first child is going off to college in a few months.  We received his financial aide package in the mail and it was dismal.  Seems we are rich.  I feel rich in blessings, not so much in dollars.  Though I know compared to most of the world we truly are rich.

I have been praying about this a lot.  I know God has a plan for Zach and his life.  What it is, none of us is sure of.  Something I have come to understand though, is that if God has a plan no lack of funds is going to stop that plan from happening.  Ask any adoptive parent if they thought they would be able to pay for their adoption?  Most would say no.  None of us has that kind of money just laying around.  However, it does happen. 

My friend Erica posted a link to this amazing mom's perspective on the subject.  Go read it, you won't be sorry.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

AMEN Julie!

Paying ransom for a child's soul is worth all the money in the world!

God is not worried about whether or not they will have all the earthly riches - He is concerned if we will cause them to be sold out for HIM!

He will take care of their needs perfectly and help them to go where He wants them to go.

I can't find it in my bible that God is worried about my happiness. I read over and over again that He is MOST concerned with my character and humility!

Love and blessings,
Jill

Brenda said...

Wow! That lady's post was awesome! I so agree.

Now, on a practical note, although I realize that wasn't exactly the point of your post, have you heard of college plus?

http://web.me.com/voddieb/vbm/Blog/Entries/2009/2/6_Searching_For_An_Affordable_College_Alternative.html

Kimmie said...

His will, His bill.

Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 6 1/2 adopted

Andrea said...

I have a Zac that is starting College this fall after 3 years at bible college and a Samantha that just got her Driver's license today ;o)
We have had more people than I care to tell you ask what we thought we were doing to adopt and not spending that money on college.
We basically told them to get over it.... We believe God would much rather see children in homes than worrying about college tuition. Its what they make loans for ;o)
Blessings
Andrea