Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Completely Broken

I went on Reece's Rainbow tonight to look at the waiting children's pages.  When I do this my body screams out.  Noooo! Don't do it! Because it knows my heart is broken in two for many days after.

So many beautiful children.  Many with large grants.  When I look into their faces I know that they have little time.  The children will be transferred to mental institutions if they are not adopted by the age of 4-6.  It doesn't matter that they only have down syndrome, are HIV positive or maybe have Hep C.  They will be sent.  There they will most likely die from neglect.  The truth hurts and when I look into their eyes I want to save them all. 

This little girl reminds me so much of our Paige.  Our Paige, who if she had been born in the Ukraine, would most likely now be in an institution due to her delays.  I go back and look at this little girl all the time. There are so many others on this site that I have watched wondering why no one will adopt them, and then I realize, how can I wonder that when I am not willing to go.

Not willing is probably to strong of a word.  I would say afraid is more appropriate.  Where would we get the money? How would it affect our families life to bring a child with special needs into our family.  Would God really provide for all of our needs? Why is my faith so weak?

Today I read this in Proverbs 24.

By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures.  24:3
When I look at the pictures of the children on Reece's Rainbow I see that they are all rare and beautiful treasures made for a loving home, not the walls of an institution. Oh how our God's heart must break for these children.  Why doesn't the church wake up and advocate for these children all over the world?

Today when Dave got home I had rearranged the furniture in the family room.  I told him I was trying to make the room work better so we could fit more people into the room.  "Are we adding more people" he asked with a look that said he knows his wife all to well.

We are all busy.  We are comfortable in our own little worlds.  To be honest it is only in the last six months I have felt like our family has settled in as a family of 9.  Levi was so terrified if I left the room, let alone the house, for the first year he was home I didn't go anywhere.  We were permanently attached for that time.  He trusts Dave and I now and knows we are not going anywhere.  Life is good, do I really want to rock the boat?

But then....her face comes to me in my dreams.  I pray for wisdom every day.  God is showing me things.  We will see what the future holds.

There is a situation that has been brought to our families attention about a young Ethiopian girl who's adoptive family has requested a disruption.  Her story is heartbreaking.  She is in a respite home now and is safe.  Now we are trying to find a home for her.  It is not clear if our home would be a good match for her or not, something that is being prayed about and the social worker is trying to determine.  This 15 year old girl needs a family.  For now that is my priority.  If not ours, than another.

I will leave with these words that God spoke to me recently from Proverbs 24 again,

Rescue those being led away to death, hold back those staggering toward slaughter.  If you say "But we knew nothing about this." does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it? Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?  24:11-12 

 My eyes have definitely been open and I can't say I know nothing about the orphan crisis in our world.  He spoke these words to me when I was convicted to help H find a new home.  My only question to Him is "What else do you want our family to do?" God is always surprising me with his plans, I only pray our family has the faith and courage to follow where he calls.


Goodnight friends.

Read this post from Amy right after I published this.  God definitely isn't letting me off the hook this time:) Please go read it, you will be blessed!

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Beautiful post Julie. And OH! those verses from Proverbs. Man....

junglemama said...

Love your heart. :)