Thursday, March 31, 2011

Do You'r Kids Get Along?

Mine don't.  Not always.  Actually they seem to understand just the right thing to do to get underneath their siblings skin.

Some times when the kids are all getting into the car to go somewhere I kind of cringe inside.  I'm sure the neighbors can hear them yelling and screaming.  "That's my seat", "Move over", "Don't touch me".  Sigh.

At times I am sure someone is going to call social services on us.  The neighbors must think we are beating our kids with all the yelling and screaming going on.

But, you know what?

Some days are good.  There are great moments sprinkled within all the chaos.

Today I took all five of the youngest kids to the dentist.  At one time.  Even little Amelia.

I had to smile at how protective they were of each other.  Levi was a little worried because he had gotten a few filings the last time.  He didn't enjoy that much.  I saw the other kids go over and reassure him without me having to ask.  They were there for each other.

One of the mom's in the waiting room asked me "How do you get all of your children to be so nice and kind to each other"?

I suppressed a laugh and honestly told her that they don't always.  But there are moments or even days that they do.  I try not to judge my parenting on one day or one hour.  But on the whole experience.

This picture kind of says it all.
They are hanging together watching a movie.  I love how Amelia is snuggled into Garrett like that. 

I need to remember that they do love each other.  They show that to each other when it really counts.  In the small moments.  At night when Paige is crying because she is afraid there is a spider under her bed and I hear a few siblings go in to reassure her even after mom and dad have.  Those are the moments to hold on to.

The next time they yell and scream while getting into the car I'm going to remember the nice lady at the dentist office. 

And then kick them all to the curb and drive off by myself in a nice quiet car.

O.K., not really.

But that idea does have SOME merit. Ha:)

3 comments:

Kimmie said...

;-)

Anonymous said...

I have literally pulled my van over and made a kid (or two) get out and stand on the sidewalk until they can get themselves together. Only took once. They were really hoping no one they knew drove by!

The Gang's Momma! said...

Oh, the fickle hearts of siblings :) Some of mine get along with some of each other some of the time. That help answer the question? :)

But the bestest part of this whole, whole post?

"I try not to judge my parenting on one day or one hour. But on the whole experience."

That's some good stuff there, my friend :) As my chaplain friend would say, "That'll preach."